Tuesday, August 27, 2013

‘THIS MUSICAL WILL BE A BOMB ON STAGE, WILL SHAKE NIGERIA... WATCH OUT..’ --- Anthony Offiong Edet, One of the protagonists in- SARO THE MUSICAL.


“I am looking at this project as my Saro.
This is one of the biggest projects I have ever been engaged in since I started in the art.  It is coming out with all the genres of the art that I am involved in – dance, especially because most people know me more as a dancer. I am also given an opportunity to sing and open-act and play a very silly character but, that is cool and; I am looking forward to it. It will be the bomb!”
At first glance, one wouldn’t think you are a Nigerian.
I am a full-blooded Nigerian. Ok, my father is Lebanese but I was born here. Cross Rivers is that part I hold on to because my mother is from there!

SARO The musical is making the rounds.  You are one of the lead casts. What expectation do you have, or, what is your primary responsibility in the play?
I am playing the role of Obaro, one of the leads -- one of the four guys who leave their places of birth looking for redemption; looking for a next step to making life better. He is that guy that goes to anywhere the wind blows as far as it is interesting and there is fun and travel. He loves music and also wants to make a name for himself. He also likes the place to be exciting; he energizes the people by creating the liveliness the people like. His music also drives him as well.
Historically, I heard the people identified as the Saros migrated to Lagos; but we are looking at the drive in the word Saro, and not just the storyline. It is the drive that propels these four protagonists  to leave their places of birth in search of a better life elsewhere.
I am looking at this project as my Saro. This is one of the biggest projects I have ever been engaged in since I started in the art.  It is coming out with all the genres of the art that I am involved in – dance, especially because most people know me more as a dancer. I am also given an opportunity to sing and open-act and play a very silly character but, that is cool and; I am looking forward to it. It will be the bomb!
I am looking at it going international like the Broadway -- that is how far I can see it.

You know Nigerians, when it comes to creativity and coming on stage, we always give the best. Now, we have a platform, we are able to give much more than that to pour our hearts out for Nigerians and the entire world to see. This will be more than expectations, very sure about that.

Anthony Offiong Edet
The creator and producer of the show, Bolanle Austen-Peters, mentioned in an interview that, some of the cast members  have been on the international stage; are you one of such?
Laughs. Yes I am!  I have performed inside and outside the shores of Nigeria. Most of the works that I do have always been in Europe; so, in terms of experience on a larger stage, I have that. Every production that I do, I always take it as the first time.  I walk my baby steps, I learn… I am coming into this with all the experience that I have. I am like an open book ready to be written in so that I can learn more. The excitements are there.
I wake up very early in the morning at 5am, so that I can be here. I run down here. Drive. Since I was very little, since I got into the art, I have always looked at the possibility that one day, a production of this magnitude will come. When you put yourself into something and see a future in it; that is what wakes you up. It is the art that I believe in. Now, imagine using what you believe in as a spectacle on stage.  That is a double time to wake up.

How do you compare your past experiences with what is obtainable so far In SARO…?
As I mentioned before, everybody’s got a different point of view. I have other things that I look at… What I hope to improve on in every other production I have been part of; this time around, I am coming up with three majors that people know of which are -- dance, music and acting; and I am giving an opportunity to play a lead. Expectations are very high. I roll with energy that comes from my fellow artistes; what energy they give, because, the energy they give, prompts the next thing that I do. I can’t come out as a soloist.  It isn’t all about Tony anymore. It is about the story. I reckon, there must be somebody out there in the audience that will sit down to watch this play and it will become a pointer to his/her direction of life or how s/he sees things. That also is a driving force that I am looking out for.

Do you think SARO THE MUSICAL is something different from what you have been doing?
I like to speak positive. Saro-the Musical  will definitely be different, especially when you have the hands that we have in this production. It will be. We are given the chance to tell what we feel. The contribution is coming from all angles. In Terra right now, they are looking for that thing that will blow the mind of people; what will make them scream — eeeeeeh; what will make them go gaga. That is what they are looking out for. They don’t want to do something ordinary; neither do I want to do what has been done before. This is not a production that rolls for one year and then fades away. No! Even if it rolls for one month, it will be something that will be talked about for a long time to keep up the inspiration. That is what I am looking out for and I wouldn’t mind if it runs for 10 years. C’mon; who doesn’t want the money? Hahahaha!

What word of advice do you have for people out there, enthusiastic to come and watch this play when it is ready?
Speaking from money-making point of view, this is worth coming to see. Spend your money wisely. It is an opportunity for us to teach you how to come back into the art sector in watching staged plays. Criticize us, we need that! My word for you is; it is a true story, original; a story for today even though it is the story of before. We can always use the energy of before for the future. If you read the script, it is a normal thing. It happened, not in this direction. I won’t tell you more. Get the ticket; not expensive, come watch the play. Hey! I will be on stage. This is Tony!

How will you feel if eventually this play goes on a world tour?
Screams! That is the first word. I am excited! Actually, I have already seen the bigger picture. You know, they say, if you really put your money into something, you don’t look at it from that moment; you look at what becomes of it ten years from now.  That is your driving force, what makes you to do it in the first place. Everybody shouldn’t have same vision or goal but some people can key in there and when you get these set of people in there, the sky is the limit. So, we already have the set of people who are ready to put in all they got.  Why should we have all of these talents and opportunity comes for us to explode, it won’t go on tour? I am ready to go on tour.
Most people also have to change their mindsets about Nigerians. They have to... about the way we do productions. Thank God for someone like Mrs. Austen-Peters. I am not trying to flatter her. She has done a lot. I heard that some people do production in Terra and she doesn’t take a dime. Now she is painting a greater picture spending money on this… She probably might not read all this I am saying. Most people have the money and won’t think about this. I heard that some people brought Fela to this country and we all trooped out to watch and I will organize a show for free begging you to come and you won’t come! The highest you do is to give me a standing ovation. Someone is coming out to do this?  We should applaud every other person supporting this, it is because they key into the vision that they understand what we are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment